River Mill Resort Contact Form

River Mill Resort

Slideshow

Cotton Mill History

River Mill History

Once known as the Eagle Cotton Mill, this outstanding complex was built by local builders Robert Rankin and James White in 1884 for the Eagle Cotton Company of Pittsburgh. The six acre river parcel contained the main four-story "mill" building, an adjunct office wing, a two-story "boiler" building, a three-story "cotton picker" and one "cotton separation" building.

The main building was designed at 150 lbs/sqft to support a 10,000 spindle mill together with the live load of the largest workforce in Madison at the time...

Read More

Cottom Mill History

Once known as the Eagle Cotton Mill, this outstanding complex was built by local builders Robert Rankin and James White in 1884 for the Eagle Cotton Company of Pittsburgh. The six acre river parcel contained the main four-story "mill" building, an adjunct office wing, a two-story "boiler" building, a three-story "cotton picker" and one "cotton separation" building.

The main building was designed at 150 lbs/sqft to support a 10,000 spindle mill together with the live load of the largest workforce in Madison at the time. This strength and beauty is achieved through the combination of solid masonry and post and beam construction. Floor and roof systems are supported by 12x16 inch longleaf heart pine timber tie beams joined to 9x9 inch posts 9.5 feet apart. Subfloors and roof decking is splined groove and groove 3.5 inch thick poplar. A finish floor of ¾" tongue and groove white oak covers the subfloor.

St. Michaels

The exterior load bearing walls are solid masonry limestone and brick, measuring three feet thick at the base and minimized at each story by four inches. One of the most outstanding features of the cotton mill is created by these massive walls and large 5 ft x 8 ft 8 inch wood double hung windows.

There have been few subsequent owners since the mill's construction in 1884. Muslin laundry sacks were made by the Meese Company who moved their longstanding operation to another Madison location in the 1970s. World War II equipment was also made there under close scrutiny by the government. A shoe company operated at one time out of the second floor, whereby an entry bridge was created via Baltimore Street to accommodate deliveries. The building sat vacant until 2007 when the property was purchased by present owner River Mill Preservation Company for a multi-use/ adaptive re-use development.

RMR

Although the rear buildings were in major disrepair and the cotton separation building had been razed by previous owners, the current stewards have carefully reclaimed the structures and are in the process of restoring them. The main building has been undergoing façade, structural and window restoration, and a new roof was installed in 2009, the mill's 125th birthday. A 6200 sq ft free standing metal pole building was added in the 1970s, which is now available retail space. Total buildings' square footage for mixed-usage amounts to over 90,000 sq ft.

See the Historic American Buildings Survey for Eagle Cotton Mill at http://memory.loc.gov/pnp/habshaer/in/in0000/in0022/data/in0022.pdf